As you age, you may begin to notice wrinkles on your forehead and frown lines between your eyebrows. These wrinkles and lines are all too common and part of the natural ageing process. They can also be caused by environmental conditions like sun exposure and stress. Many treatments are available today to help prevent and reduce the appearance of forehead lines and frown lines. There are countless options available for forehead wrinkles treatment, from skincare to a brow lift. We understand that everyone is unique, which is why we are here to assist you in making the best-informed decision possible about your available options.
What are Frown Lines?
Age can bring about several common wrinkles, such as frown lines between your eyebrows (known as worry lines). Frowning or other facial expressions that cause a furrowing of brows can cause vertical folds to appear between your eyebrows.
Frown lines are all too common on the Gold Coast from prolonged sun exposure and squinting – even when you’re wearing sunnies. The hot climate on the Gold Coast requires sun protection to prevent premature ageing, fine lines and wrinkles.
What Causes Forehead Wrinkles?
Forehead wrinkles are the horizontal lines and creases found on the forehead.
- Repeated facial expressions/movements – Causing your forehead to crease, like when you raise your eyebrows.
- Natural ageing & genetics
- Environmental factors – sun exposure and dry climate
- Poor skin hydration – Reduced collagen production combined with a lack of proper skin hydration can leave your skin dry, cracked, and more likely to form wrinkles as you age.
- Smoking – Reduces your skin’s elasticity, causing more sagging and wrinkles which makes skin look more aged.
Fortunately, there are some treatments available that may help reduce the appearance of forehead wrinkles (fine lines forehead) and frown lines.
How to Prevent Frown Lines
How to get rid of lines on forehead? Well, prevention is better than cure, wrinkles are difficult to lessen naturally, but we can slow down their formation. There are three key areas to pay attention to – sun exposure, skincare and lifestyle.
Sun Protection for Wrinkle Prevention
- Make sure to apply sunscreen every day and reapply every 2 hours or after swimming
- Wear hats or other sun protection when necessary
- Limit your time in the sun and stay in the shade when possible
- Regular moisturising, exfoliating, and using quality anti-ageing skincare products can help keep your skin looking soft, smooth, and younger for longer. Environ Skin Care is a great option.
- Use products that contain Vitamin E oil – Vitamin E oil can help reduce wrinkles and revive the skin around your forehead.
- Eat well – A diet filled nutrients, plenty of water, and omega-3-rich foods can help provide long-term skin benefits. Healthy fats found in avocados may help improve skin elasticity and reduce wrinkles.
- Don’t smoke – Smoking causes skin to age. It increases the risk of developing wrinkles and fine lines.
- Frown less – Try to keep a smile on your face whenever possible. Not only will it make you appear more radiant, but it also helps prevent frown lines from forming more quickly. Facial exercises for wrinkle reduction are a myth! The more you move your face the more you stretch it – not tighten it.
- Get enough sleep and exercise – Sleep deprivation can cause wrinkles and fine lines, so ensure that you get at least 8 hours of rest each night and stay active with physical activity.
Together, these tips provide unique ways for keeping pesky lines away!
How to Get Rid of Frown Lines
There is a wide range of options when it comes to reducing frown lines, from topical skincare options to injectables and surgical options. Everyone’s skin ages differently and the wrinkles and lines vary based on skin type, age, health and lifestyle. We’ll review each option so you can decide which is best for you.
Many are looking for natural remedies for wrinkles. You’re not alone! Here are some non-invasive options to reduce your lines.
Serums and creams with retinol may improve fine lines. It’s important to start with low strength and start slowly incorporating the product into your routine as it can irritate.
Other treatments you may consider for frown lines on forehead treatment include: laser skin resurfacing, microdermabrasion, and chemical peels.
Injectable Anti-Wrinkle Treatments
Injectables are one of the most popular options for reducing the appearance of a forehead wrinkle or frown lines. Anti-wrinkle injections relax the underlying muscles, smoothing out the skin and preventing it from forming further lines or wrinkles, giving you a more refreshed look. Many ask, how long for this to work on frown lines? The results can take up to 2 weeks.
Forehead Dermal Filler
Yes, you can use filler in frown lines, especially for deep indentations (or a single line on forehead). How is filler for frown lines used? It is injected into the targeted area to fill out wrinkles and folds, smoothing out the skin’s surface for a more refreshed look.
With the right application, filler for forehead can smooth forehead wrinkles. Using frown line filler for frown lines results in fewer visible frown lines.
How long does it take for forehead wrinkle filler or frown lines filler to work? After treating forehead wrinkles you’ll see results instantly but there may be some swelling so it can take a week or so to see the lasting result.
Please note that due to TGA guidelines, we are unable to advertise the brand names of dermal filler injectables on our website. However, we stock the leading brands of all injectable fillers and can discuss these freely during your consultation.
Also known as an eyebrow lift or forehead lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure for tightening and removing excess skin and tissues that cause your eyebrows to sag. This helps to smooth out forehead wrinkles and frown lines. This can enhance your facial appearance and give you a more refreshed look and feel.
Rhytidectomy (facelift) is an ideal way to smooth out wrinkles and sagging in the face and get rid of the changes in your face that come from age. Facelift surgery can help you appear more refreshed as though you’ve been on a relaxing holiday. It helps to improve jawline and neck contour. The scars are hidden behind the ears, so they should not be visible to the untrained eye.
A facelift helps to correct signs of ageing on the face and neck, including loose or sagging skin, lines, wrinkles, folds and jowls that often appear around the lower face. Dr Doyle offers a complete lower facial radiance plan that includes Lower Face and Neck Lift, Platysmal Band treatment, Fat Transfer to the Face and Chin Liposuction where needed. Every facial surgery treatment plan is customised to ensure the best individual outcome for your long-term, aesthetic results.
Final Thoughts: Considering Your Options for Frown Line Reduction
When it comes to ageing, remember that wrinkle prevention is better than cure! You can follow our prevention tips, make lifestyle changes and take good care of your skin to delay the formation of wrinkles.
If you’d like to reduce the lines you already have, consider which treatment is best for you whether it be non-invasive or surgical. Always consult a medical professional before starting any new treatment regimen. No matter what route you choose to take, it’s important to be patient and consistent for the best results.
Have you tried any of these methods for getting rid of forehead wrinkles and frown lines? Book a consultation with our cosmetic nurses to explore which option is best for you.
About Dr Mark Doyle FRACS (Plast) – Queensland Plastic Surgeon
Servicing patients in Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Cairns and New South Wales NSW – Northern Rivers, Byron Bay, Ballina, Lismore and more.
Dr Mark Doyle is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with over thirty years of experience performing Breast, Body, Face and Nose surgery. Dr Doyle is a fully qualified Specialist Plastic Surgeon with 30+ years of experience. He has completed all required training and only carries out approved surgical practices. There are absolutely NO undertrained doctors or cosmetic doctors acting as surgeons in our clinic.
As a highly esteemed plastic surgeon, Dr Mark is committed to achieving the best possible results for all his breast, body, face and nose patients, both men and women.
Do Your Research
What to Bring to Your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative for support and discussion regarding your choices
- Take notes and read all provided information thoroughly
- Read about what to expect in your Initial Surgery Consultation
Book Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
- Get a Referral from your GP or specialist – this is required to book a consultation with Dr Doyle.
- Email us or call on 07 5598 0988 to arrange your consultation appointment.
- Pay your $285 Consultation Fee in advance to secure your consultation.
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
- Dr. Mark Doyle AHPRA Registration: Dr Mark Doyle MED0001375519 Specialist Plastic Surgery – MBBS FRACS FRCS
*DISCLAIMER: All information on Gold Coast Plastic Surgery website is general in nature and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Results can vary significantly and depend on individual patient circumstances. All images on this website, unless specified as real patient images, are stock images used for illustrative purposes only. Surgery risks and complications will be covered in detail during a consultation with your surgeon. Book a consult for details regarding your cosmetic surgery procedure.