How to get a Medical Referral from a GP or a Specialist to See Dr Doyle
To undergo plastic surgery at Gold Coast Plastic Surgery, you will need to get an itemized medical referral from either a general practitioner or specialist.
Having a referral allows you to access Medicare rebates for your consultation – given your procedure is Medical in nature. You will receive approximately $70 back from your consultation fee. When you make your appointment with Dr. Doyle, please send your Valid Referral to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it to your appointment for scanning.
Please note, it is now essential to have a referral before your initial consultation with Dr Doyle, both for cosmetic and medically necessary procedures.
A Referral from a GP is valid for 12 months and a Referral from a Specialist is valid for 3 months.
If you have a valid Medical Referral and you are eligible for a Medicare item number (your procedure is medically necessary), you may be able to claim assistance from your Insurer. This depends on your level of Private Hospital Insurance cover, and assistance may be available to subsidise your Hospital Fee.
Here are some rules as to what makes a Valid Medical Referral to a Specialist.
You may choose to see your GP to get your referral or get a specialist medical referral online.
Dr Mark Doyle – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Doyle is the leading specialist plastic surgeon at Gold Coast Plastic Surgery. He specialises in Breast Lift surgery, Complex Implant Removal procedures as well as Post Pregnancy Surgery and Facial Renewal.
He currently does not offer Skin Cancer Surgery, Post Cancer Reconstruction or Hand Surgery – however, we can assist you in finding another reliable surgeon to refer to.
Benefits of Getting a Medical Referral
A medical referral is an important part of your surgery process. A medical referral:
- Allows your GP to keep your medical records in one place
- Informs your surgeon about your medical history
- Enables your surgeon to keep your GP updated
- Gives you access to rebates and possible Private Health Insurance subsidy for your medically necessary surgery.
- Gives you access to a Medicare Rebate on your Consultation Fee if you have a medical referral. (Not for purely Cosmetic surgery – only medically necessary surgery)
Information for a Medical Referral to a Specialist Plastic Surgeon
HELPFUL INFORMATION IN A PATIENT REFERRAL FOR COSMETIC PLASTIC SURGERY
The following items would be helpful in your medical referral to a specialist plastic surgeon.
Patient Demographic Information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Next of kin
- Postal address
- Contact number(s)
- Email address
- Medicare number
- Referring GP details including provider number
- Usual GP (if different)
- Interpreter requirements (if req)
Patient Clinical Information:
- Reason for referral to a specialist
- Duration of symptoms
- Management to date and response to treatment
- Past medical history
- Current medications and medication history if relevant
- Functional status and capability
- Psychosocial history and any Mental Health issues
- Dietary status
- Family history
- Diagnostic tests completed and any results
Include Notes in Alignment with the MBS Eligibility Critera
If you are being referred to Dr Doyle to treat a medical condition, it is helpful that your GP indicates your health condition in alignment with the Medicare criteria. You can find out details of each Medicare item number here:
This article outlines Medicare Item Numbers for the following procedures:
- Gynaecomastia (Male Breast Reduction)
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Implant Removal
- Breast Lift
- Body Lift
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Lift)
To find out more if you qualify for item number surgery – please contact our office via our website or call us on 5598 0988.
About Dr Mark Doyle FRACS (Plast) – Queensland Plastic Surgeon
Servicing patients in Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Cairns and New South Wales NSW – Northern Rivers, Byron Bay, Ballina, Lismore and more.
Dr Mark Doyle is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with over thirty years of experience performing Breast, Body, Face and Nose surgery. Dr Doyle is a fully qualified Specialist Plastic Surgeon with 30+ years of experience. He has completed all required training and only carries out approved surgical practices. There are absolutely NO undertrained doctors or cosmetic doctors acting as surgeons in our clinic.
As a highly esteemed plastic surgeon, Dr Mark is committed to achieving the best possible results for all his breast, body, face and nose patients, both men and women.
Do Your Research
What to Bring to Your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative for support and discussion regarding your choices
- Take notes and read all provided information thoroughly
- Read about what to expect in your Initial Surgery Consultation
Book Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
- Get a Referral from your GP or specialist – this is required to book a consultation with Dr Doyle.
- Email us or call on 07 5598 0988 to arrange your consultation appointment.
- Pay your $285 Consultation Fee in advance to secure your consultation.
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
- Dr. Mark Doyle AHPRA Registration: Dr Mark Doyle MED0001375519 Specialist Plastic Surgery – MBBS FRACS FRCS
*DISCLAIMER: All information on Gold Coast Plastic Surgery website is general in nature and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Results can vary significantly and depend on individual patient circumstances. All images on this website, unless specified as real patient images, are stock images used for illustrative purposes only. Surgery risks and complications will be covered in detail during a consultation with your surgeon. Book a consult for details regarding your cosmetic surgery procedure.