Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty is one of the best surgical options available for your tummy tuck upgrades. It may also help you reduce aging and look younger as the sag in your abdomen disappears. If you had a pregnancy in the recent past and want to get rid of that stretched and thick skin, this procedure may offer the best surgical solution for you.
A Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty is a very complex aesthetic surgery that rejuvenates and removes excess fat and loose skin from the lower abdomen, centre abdomen, and around the ribs and pubic area. Ideally, this procedure is suited for trimming both vertical and horizontal excess skin on the abdominal wall. Note that with all tummy tucks, the Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty is not a weight loss surgery. It is designed for patients who have undergone significant weight loss and have maintained their weight for at least six months.
Am I the right candidate for Fleur de Lis surgery?
You are the right candidate for this treatment if you have the following concerns:
- You are not satisfied with your abdomen appearance.
- You have low confidence.
- You have skin excess on the lower and upper abdomen.
- You have completed your family and have lost any baby weight.
- You wish to have a toned and flat body.
- You don’t smoke.
- You do not suffer from serious diseases.
Benefits of Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty
Most surgeons recommend Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty for removal of the loose skin because it has the following benefits:
- It gives you a flatter stomach.
- You can get an attractive body shape and waist.
- It removes excess fat and skin.
- It improved the tightness of the skin on your abdomen.
- It can improve the appearance of your belly button.
The Journey of Fleur de Lis Surgery
This surgery gets its name from the triangular incisions used. This treatment allows horizontal and vertical skin tightening compared with the traditional techniques, which tighten vertical skin only. These operations have the most effect below the umbilicus in the belly and pubic areas. If you have loose skin above and around the umbilicus you should consider a Fleur De Lis procedure.
Preparation for the surgery (Pre-OP)
You need to consult Dr Doyle to get to know about risk factors and complications. You need to restrict your smoking and shift to a healthy lifestyle before the surgery. You may need to change your postures, so try and practise sleeping in altered positions before the surgery.
Steps for the Procedure
General anesthesia is used in all patients.
This treatment involves two incisions: a horizontal incision in the pubic area and a vertical scar in the midline of the abdomen extending from the ribs vertically down to the pubic area. The vertical scar allows more skin to be removed from the abdomen in comparison to a standard tummy tuck. Dr Doyle will be able to show you the length of the scar.
The surgery normally takes 2 to 3 hours to complete and patients will usually spend one night in the hospital.
Post-Operative Care and Follow-Up (Post-Op)
Following your surgery:
- When you leave the hospital, you will be wearing a pressure garment covering your abdomen. You will have 2 suction drains connected to small plastic bags and a pain pump. The pain pump automatically squirts local anaesthetic under the abdominal skin and is important in minimizing pain following the procedure.
- Cleanliness is the key to a speedy recovery. Clean wounds have less chance of infection. Try not to touch your wounds with bare hands wherever possible.
- Pain and Antibiotic Medications are prescribed to reduce discomfort and protect you from bacterial infections.
- You will need compressive garments for 6 weeks following your surgery to help your body maintain shape and contour and minimize swelling.
- It is important to have a healthy diet and avoid smoking throughout your surgical phase.
This treatment can cause discomfort during sleeping positions, and you may have a bloated stomach. This resolves quite quickly.
Side effects of Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty
Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty is a safe procedure, but all medical procedures come with risks and potential for side effects. The side effects of fleur de Lis abdominoplasty can include, but are not limited to:
- Reactions to Anaesthesia
- Excessive bruising
- Longer time for wound healing particularly in smokers
- Poor scar formation
- Excessive bleeding
- Skin discolouration
- Fluid buildup in the abdomen
- Fat necrosis
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Blood clots in the legs or veins in the pelvis
- Blood clots in the lungs
Cost of Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty
The cost of a Fleur-De-Lis Abdominoplasty varies significantly depending on the time taken to do the procedure. You will need to pay for surgeon fees, anaesthetic fees, hospital fees, tests and medications. You will also need to pay for compressive garments for wearing after surgery.
In selected cases, Medicare and private medical insurance will pay a portion of the costs. This will be discussed with you at your consultation with Dr Doyle.
You can access our list of pricing resources to find about more about the cost of Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty surgery:
Why Choose Dr Mark Doyle
Dr Doyle is a highly experienced specialist plastic surgeon with over 30 years of experience and has performed many procedures for those patients with significant weight loss including abdominoplasties and upper and lower body lifts, belt lipectomies, inner thigh lift and upper arm lifts.
Book a consultation with Dr Doyle today to find out more about Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who needs a Fleur De Lis tummy tuck?
Both men and women are suitable for this treatment who have extra sagging skin on the abdomen. This treatment is recommended when someone has already lost a significant amount of weight but still has some sagging skin all over the stomach.
Is there an age limit that determines the right candidate for vertical abdominoplasty?
FDL Surgery is a procedure that can be performed on all adult patients who meet the profession’s rules and the prerequisites to be good candidates for FDL Surgery.
How long does it take to heal from a Fleur de Lis tummy tuck?
It can typically take up to 6 weeks to heal from a Fleur de Lis tummy tuck. Depending on the type of work you do you will need to take approximately 6 weeks off work.
What is an abdominal apron?
Excess sagging skin on the stomach after weight loss is known as hanging belly or apron. It consists of thickened skin and fat immediately above the pubis.
What is the difference between a tummy tuck and a Fleur De Lis?
A tummy tuck helps to tighten and smooth the abdominal skin above and below the belly button and repairs separated abdominal muscles using a horizontal scar in the groin and a circular scar around the belly button.
FDL abdominoplasty has two incisions: the same scars as the tummy tuck – i.e. a horizontal scar in the groin and a circular scar around the belly button with an additional vertical scar running from the pubic area to the sternum (ribs).
Can I undergo Fleur De Lis if I am obese?
People who suffer from overweight disorders (morbid obesity) are generally not good candidates for this procedure. This is an operation to remove loose skin after weight loss and is not an operation to help people lose weight.
Can you sleep on your side after an FDL Abdominoplasty?
No, you can’t sleep on your side immediately after a FDL abdominoplasty. It is suggested to sleep on your back to keep the abdomen flexed for usually 1 to 2 weeks. Practice sleeping on your back before the surgery to be prepared for sleep following the procedure. After 1-2 weeks following the surgery, you can sleep in any position where you are comfortable.
Can this procedure be combined with other surgeries?
Book a Consultation
To discuss Fleur De Lis in more detail, book a consultation with Dr Mark Doyle on the Gold Coast.
Further Reading – Fleur De Lis – Medical References
- (PDF) The History of The Fleur-de-lis Technique: a Review of The Literature and Case Report
- Fleur De Lys Abdominoplasty: Techniques to Reduce Complication Rates – Our Experience
- Medicare Benefits Schedule – MBS Online
- Body contouring surgery following massive weight loss | The PMFA Journal
- Abdominoplasty: Tummy Tuck Side Effects, Cost & More | Flawless
About Dr Mark Doyle FRACS (Plast) – Queensland Plastic Surgeon
Servicing patients in Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Cairns and New South Wales NSW – Northern Rivers, Byron Bay, Ballina, Lismore and more.
Dr Mark Doyle is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with over thirty years of experience performing Breast, Body, Face and Nose surgery. As a highly esteemed plastic surgeon, Dr Mark is driven by an intense passion for helping patients achieve a happier, more beautiful self through advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
He maintains a strong commitment to achieving the best possible results for all his breast, body, face and nose patients, both men and women.
Do Your Research
What to Bring to Your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative for support and discussion regarding your choices
- Take notes and read all provided information thoroughly
- Read about what to expect in your Initial Surgery Consultation
Book Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
- Get a Referral from your GP or specialist – this is advised but not required to book a consultation with Dr Doyle.
- Email us or call on 07 5598 0988 to arrange your consultation appointment.
- Pay your $285 Consultation Fee in advance to secure your consultation.
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
*DISCLAIMER: All information on Gold Coast Plastic Surgery website is general in nature and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Results can vary significantly and depend on individual patient circumstances. All images on this website, unless specified as real patient images, are stock images used for illustrative purposes only. Surgery risks and complications will be covered in detail during a consultation with your surgeon. Book a consult for details regarding your cosmetic surgery procedure.