Facelift surgery is a procedure that involves tightening of facial tissue that has started sagging due to age and gravity. A facelift procedure will tighten the jowls, cheeks, skin of neck tissue and soften the smile lines. Aging causes drastic changes in the skin which leads to insecurities and ultimately low self-esteem in individuals. With aging, the facial skin starts to lose its integrity due to sun exposure, gravity, and contraction of the muscle caused by talking, smiling, laughing, and other expressions. If you’re concerned about the signs of ageing, male facelift surgery may be a good option for you.
Facelift surgery can be successfully performed in men who are seeking facial refreshment. The aim of a facelift is to reposition loose tissue, reestablish the facial volume and improve jawline texture. Facelift delivers excellent and prompt aesthetic results for both men and women.
During this facial rejuvenation procedure, a flap of skin on each side of the face is pulled back, and tissue below the skin is reconstructed to return the contour of the face to a more youthful shape. The excess skin is removed before the flap is sutured. Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Doyle is an excellent choice for a male facelift as he is well experienced and has performed hundreds of this surgery over his 30-year career. His goal is to redefine the jawline to achieve a more chiselled appearance.
Am I a Good Candidate for Male Facelift Procedure?
Male facelift surgery is a great option for those who are unhappy with the skin tightness of their face. If you are trying to decide whether or not you are a good candidate for this treatment, consider a few qualifying factors:
- You are realistic about the outcome of the surgery.
- You have a sufficient amount of facial laxity to make the procedure worthwhile.
- You understand the risks involved.
- You should stop smoking and drinking alcohol before surgery to maximise healing.
- You should be as fit and healthy as possible.
- You should seek advice if you have an ongoing health problem or condition.
Benefits of the Male Face Lift Procedure
A flabby looking face can adversely impact your confidence level. The male facelift procedure is an effective and accurate face contouring procedure. The major benefit of Male facelift treatment is that it gives results that are subtle rather than dramatic. The male facelift also helps to tighten the skin instantly. The benefits of male facelift surgery are:
- Immediately removes fine lines and wrinkles
- Revitalise the skin
- Youthful skin tone is instantly achieved
- Hold your facial skin tight in a more youthful position
- Minimally invasive procedure
Male Face Lifting Procedure
If you choose to proceed with the surgery, a series of blood investigations, a chest x-ray, and an ECG are carried out to evaluate your fitness for surgery. If you are on certain medications, you may be asked to stop them a few days or weeks before surgery.
The following are the basic steps for male face-lift surgery :
- Dr Doyle will administer a medication that will sedate you. It is mostly performed under general anesthesia as it is best and more relaxing. You will be completely asleep and there will be no pain.
- Dr Doyle will then make an incision in the hairline near the temples. The incision is made in front of the ear and down to the earlobe, then back towards the lower scalp behind the ears.
- Next, Dr Doyle will remove fat and excess skin or they are redistributed along the face.
- Then the muscle and tissues are tightened.
- The skin is glued or sutured. If sutured, Dr Doyle will give you the date to remove the stitch.
- The incision is made in such a way that they hide the hairline and facial structure.
- You will be allowed to rest in the recovery room for a few hours before leaving for home.
Your Face Lift Surgery Journey:
Your initial consultation with Dr Doyle is the first step of your face-lift surgery. It includes choosing and meeting your plastic surgeon to get evaluated and ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for the procedure. During the consultation period, Dr Doyle will explain the details of the procedure along with the benefits and risks of it so that you can decide if it is the right choice for you.
As you are considering a facelift you will need to carefully consider the planning process, anesthetic and surgery risks, healing and recovery process, duration as well as cost.
At your initial consultation, Dr Doyle will discuss in detail your journey of facelift surgery including which procedure is best for you. And you can select the one which is most preferential for you. As a facelift is a complex surgery, it is best to choose a specialist plastic surgeon with considerable experience in facial surgery.
You should also have a detailed discussion regarding the risks and complications following facelift surgery.
Recovery after male facelift surgery is fairly comfortable for the patient. The following are general instructions for your care following surgery.
- Rest is very much essential for proper recovery.
- You should apply ice or a cold pack on your face for 10 to 20 minutes. Try doing this every 1 to 2 hours for the first 2 to 3 days. This will help to subside swelling.
- You should keep your head elevated following surgery to the first two weeks of surgery. This can be done by keeping two pillows underneath the head or sleeping in a recliner at 45 degrees.
- You will probably need 1 to 2 weeks off from the week. It depends on the type of work you do, and whether or not you want to return to work before complete recovery.
- You should avoid strenuous activities such as weight lifting, running for 3 weeks or until the surgeon says it is okay.
- You should avoid bathing for 1 to 2 days.
- Men after facelift surgery should take cautions while shaving because they will not be able to feel the blade on your skin.
- You should take medications as prescribed.
Risks and Complications of Male Facelift Surgery
Patients should expect certain side effects after face-lift surgery because there are certain complications and risks inherent in any surgical procedure. For this reason, it is important to choose a qualified surgeon to perform facelift surgery. There are certain side effects related to anesthetic medication such as drug allergy and hypersensitivity. The local side effects are:
- Pain: Most patients report very minor pain following facelift surgery. For the management of pain, the surgeon will prescribe you some pain medication. If pain is severe and sudden you should report to your surgeon immediately. Some numbness can be felt in perfectly normal skin.
- Haematoma: If there is bleeding under the skin, then blood gets collected, leaving an area swollen and painful, called a hematoma. An operation may be required to stop the flow and remove the blood.
- Swelling: Some amount of swelling may be present which is just the body’s natural process to the reaction. The swelling will start to subside after a few days, though you will probably still notice some swelling several weeks after your facelift surgery.
- Bruising: Just like the swelling, bruising naturally comes following facelift surgery as the body responds to the changes. The bruising sits especially around the eye, which can take up to a month to disappear. However, gradual improvement can be noticed every day following the surgery.
- Infection: Sometimes symptoms of infection such as swelling, redness, and pain can occur during the period of healing, Unless it is severe, it can be eliminated by the use of antibiotics.
- Scarring: The surgery scar can remain pinkish for several months following surgery. As with standard facelift procedures, the surgery is hidden above the hairline, and most people will not have major issues with scarring after a facelift.
However, certain symptoms can not be ignored as they may be an indication of a severe complication, in which case you should immediately consult your surgeon.
- If you have a sign of infection, such as increased pain, swelling, warmth, and redness.
- If you have loose stitches on the incision and the wound is open.
- If you are bleeding from the incision,
- If you have intolerable pain not going away with painkillers.
- If you sign of blood clot in the vein of your legs, such as pain in your calf, redness in the calf, pain in the back of the knee, thigh, or groin.
Even though serious complications are rare, patients are still susceptible to them after their surgical procedure. Therefore patients need to keep an eye out for the possible signs of serious complications.
You should discuss these side effects with your surgeon in detail to be able to make an informed decision. It is important to note that most of the complications and side effects of facelift surgery can be avoided by choosing a qualified and highly skilled specialist plastic surgeon to perform the procedure. Book a consultation with our specialist surgeon today.
Frequently Asked Questions About Male Facelift Surgery
How much does a male facelift cost?
The average cost of facelift surgery is variable and depends upon several factors including surgeon expertise, geographical office location, and type of procedure. But it is very important to remember that the surgeons’ experience and your comfort with him or her are more important things to consider than the total cost of surgery.
For more detailed information about the cost of facelift surgery for men, you can book a consultation with Dr Doyle or view our pricing resources:
What is the best age for a male facelift?
What matters is appearance and not age. The goal of the facelift procedure is to maintain the youth and energetic look on your face. Facelift surgery has benefited adults of all ages. Determining the age which is suitable for your facelift depends upon your health, emotional readiness, time, and motivation for periodic maintenance. Facelift surgery is rarely done before 30 and in most cases, facelift works best for people above their 40s to 60s, when the signs of aging have become prominent.
Do facelifts make you look younger?
A facelift by elevating and tightening the skin, the wrinkles on the cheeks will be a little more stretched flat and will look better. Patients who have undergone a facelift rate themselves as looking at an average of 12 years younger after surgery.
How many years can a facelift take off?
A person who has a facelift will always look younger for the rest of their life than an imaginary twin that never had a facelift. Facelift surgery will give you a youthful and energetic appearance. On the contrary, facelift results are not permanent. With age, the facial skin may begin to droop again, the average facelift results last from 10 years to 15 years.
Will it be obvious that I’ve had a facelift?
No, Dr Doyle prefers subtle results over dramatic ones. The only thing noticeable about the facelift is the location and quality of scars, any shape change in the ear, and the direction in which the sagging tissue was repositioned.
How long after the male facelift will I look normal?
From 3 weeks to 6 months, healing continues and after proper recovery, final results are fully achieved. In most patients, final results are visible within 3 months following the procedure.
How do you tighten sagging jowls?
Facelift surgery can be the most effective procedure to significantly tighten sagging jowls. It is often considered the ideal solution for moderate to significant jowl sag. This surgery is designed to lift and tighten sagging facial tissue and create a more defined jawline.
Do facelifts look natural?
The patient’s face might look pulled or stretched following 2 weeks of surgery, but when the swelling goes down and the skin will relax a bit, the pulled appearance will subside.
What are the risks of a facelift?
With any surgical procedure, there are some risks of complications such as bleeding and infection. The risk of infection is usually uncommon with the proper use of antibiotics. There can be some problems with healing, and this is exaggerated in people who have diabetes. This can widen scarring. Following surgery, sometimes nerves can be injured and may affect the control of the facial muscle.
What is a deep plane male facelift?
The deep plane facelift is the most invasive technique offering patients the longest results. The deep plane facelift reaches deeper into the face, enhancing the lift produced by a regular procedure. In the deep plane facelift procedure, the tightening is done at deep muscle, so results are more dramatic.
- “A review of 324 rhytidectomies, emphasizing complications and patient dissatisfaction“. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- “Rhytidectomy: a statistical analysis”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- “How I do it”—head and neck and plastic surgery. A targeted problem and its solution. Primary rhytidectomy—complications of the procedure and anesthetic“. The Laryngoscope
About Dr Mark Doyle FRACS (Plast) – Queensland Plastic Surgeon
Servicing patients in Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Cairns and New South Wales NSW – Northern Rivers, Byron Bay, Ballina, Lismore and more.
Dr Mark Doyle is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with over thirty years of experience performing Breast, Body, Face and Nose surgery. As a highly esteemed plastic surgeon, Dr Mark is driven by an intense passion for helping patients achieve a happier, more beautiful self through advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.
He maintains a strong commitment to achieving the best possible results for all his breast, body, face and nose patients, both men and women.
Do Your Research
What to Bring to Your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative for support and discussion regarding your choices
- Take notes and read all provided information thoroughly
- Read about what to expect in your Initial Surgery Consultation
Book Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
- Get a Referral from your GP or specialist – this is advised but not required to book a consultation with Dr Doyle.
- Email us or call on 07 5598 0988 to arrange your consultation appointment.
- Pay your $285 Consultation Fee in advance to secure your consultation.
Please contact us to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
*DISCLAIMER: All information on Gold Coast Plastic Surgery website is general in nature and is not intended to be medical advice nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Results can vary significantly and depend on individual patient circumstances. All images on this website, unless specified as real patient images, are stock images used for illustrative purposes only. Surgery risks and complications will be covered in detail during a consultation with your surgeon. Book a consult for details regarding your cosmetic surgery procedure.